Search form

search button

COVID-19 Information for National Emergency Training Center Students

Note: effective July 28, 2021, all Federal employees, onsite contractors, and visitors, regardless of vaccination status or level of COVID transmission in your local area, are required to wear a mask inside all DHS workspaces and Federal buildings.

We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, December 28, 2021 starting at 8:00 AM EST. This is a planned one (1) day, 24 hour EXTENDED OUTAGE, ending Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 8:00 AM EST. All EMI web services will be unavailable for this time period. Please contact us if you experience any issues outside of this maintenance window.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency continues to monitor the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as it relates to COVID-19. To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the CDC is encouraging organizations to promote social distancing, hold meetings via videoconferencing, reduce non-essential travel, and adjust or postpone events and gatherings. We also continue to evaluate the local and national situation and will provide regular updates.

Students will be notified in advance concerning the status of their on-campus course offering.

We thank you for your understanding, and we invite you to visit our extensive catalog of Independent Study Courses as well as classroom courses available by virtual delivery.

Frequently Asked Questions

Search For Answers:

  1. Do I need to apply for a FEMA SID to complete IS courses?


    Yes. As of April 1, 2015, you will be required to use a FEMA Student Identification (SID) number. Follow these steps to register for a SID

    Students who have taken courses in the past under their social security number can contact our office at 301-447-1200 to have their records merged under their FEMA SID number.

    For FEMA employees (full/part time, reservists and CORE), we recommend you first attempt the IS course via FEKC. If the course is not listed in FEKC, register using your SID

  2. Do I need a user name/password to take IS courses?


    No, a user name and password is NOT required to complete an IS course. You will sign into the exam with your FEMA SID and LAST NAME. Please see the How do I take an Independent Study course online FAQ for more information.
  3. Where do I go for SID Questions?


    Independent Study Exams now require a FEMA Student Identification (SID) Number. If you do not yet have a SID, register for one today: Please do not contact the Independent Study program office as they are unable to provide assistance with these requests.
  4. Where do I go for non-SID Independent Study Questions?


    If you have a non-SID related inquiry regarding the FEMA Independent Study Program, NIMS or other Emergency Management Institute (EMI) related requests such as: requests for certificates, transcripts, online test scores/results, please contact the FEMA Independent Study program office at 301-447-1200 or email for further assistance. Please do not contact the FEMA SID Help Desk as they are unable to provide assistance with these requests.
  5. Who can take FEMA's Independent Study Courses? Who can teach Independent Study Courses?


    The primary audience for the Independent Study Program is first responders, EMS personnel and US citizens. The Independent Study Program has no requirements for instructors to teach our courses; however, we do suggest the instructor is familiar with the course materials before teaching the course. Reviewing the material, taking and passing the exam online and reviewing any classroom materials provided are suggested ways to familiarize yourself with the material. All exams must be submitted online at

  6. I need to request completion information for someone else. What do I do?


    Due to the Privacy Act, we no longer accept third party requests for completion verification, certificate reissue, or transcripts. Please have the student contact the FEMA Independent Study program office directly at 301-447-1200 or for assistance.
  7. I need to take ICS-300/ICS-400 course(s). Where can I complete this training?


    ICS-300 and ICS-400 can be taught on campus, in the field or at the state-level; therefore we recommend contacting your State Training Office for course training information. For contact information, visit

  8. I completed ICS-300/ICS-400 course(s). How do I get my certificates?


    ICS-300 and ICS-400 courses are not administered by the EMI Independent Study Program; therefore, we do not maintain completion records.

    ICS-300 and ICS-400 can be taught on campus, in the field or at the state-level; therefore, we recommend contacting the agency that provided your training to inquire about your certificates.

  9. When will I receive my certificate? My electronic certificate is not working, how do I fix it?


    Upon successful completion of the exam, a certificate will be emailed within 1-2 business days. This email confirms your transcript has been updated and provides a link to access your electronic certificate. The certificate will be in a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. Adobe Reader is required to open the certificate. If you do not have this software, it can be obtained as a free download at

  10. Can I see the questions I missed on a Final Exam? What was my score?


    Exams are scored in an automated system to eliminate the opportunity for scoring errors. In order to maintain the integrity of our courses, we do not distribute test scores or questions missed. Our exams are based upon pass/fail criteria with the benchmark for successful completion set at 75%. Our program does not limit your exam attempts. Please be aware that online exams are scrambled and the questions may change when you take the final exam. Be sure to read test questions and answer choices carefully.

  11. Is there anywhere on the website that I can view my completions? How can I get a record of my Independent Study course completions?


    Our current system does not offer student’s the capability to view their completions online. You can request copies of certificates or a student transcript by calling the EMI Independent Study office at 301-447-1200. If you would like an Official Transcript please access the IS Transcript Request form at

    You cannot request an official transcript by phone. *Please note that IS transcripts issued by the Independent Study Office do NOT reflect college credits that have been purchased from Frederick Community College.

  12. I retook a course but my certificate still has the original completion date. How do I get a new certificate with the date I retook the course?


    Independent Study Program course certificates never expire. If you want to refresh your skills, you may retake the exam; however, our system will not re-score the exam and the original date of completion will remain on your certificate of completion.

    If you are trying to submit an exam for a course that is required to be taken each year, please see our course list at and look for courses with a yearly suffix. (Example: IS-19.14 where .14 indicates 2014).

  13. How can I get college credit for an Independent Study course I’ve completed?


    Lower division (100), academic credit is granted by Frederick Community College (FCC) for some of the ISP courses. For more information visit

  14. I am in charge of my church's safety and security team. There has been a real movement over the past year for many churches in our area and other places as well to establish these teams. Local LEO's and some EMA folks are behind this as well. We are looking for guidance and training.


    Great to see emergency planning for houses of worship.

    EMI maintains an independent study program course titled IS-360 Preparing for Mass Casualty Incidents: A Guide for Schools, Higher Education, and Houses of Worship The course provides resources from many organizations to include private sector.

    How to Assess the Safety and Security of Your Place of Worship: is one some have found helpful but there are many others resources as you access the course.

    We also have the IS-907 Active Shooter: What You Can Do with additional resources.

  15. I am having problems downloading materials or submitting my online exam. What are the technical system requirements needed to complete my courses?


    Make sure you are using a supported web browser and a desktop or laptop computer. Mobile devices are not recommended.

    Please see our technical requirements at

    If the problem persists, please contact the FEMA Independent Study program office at 301-447-1200 or email with a detailed error description.

  16. How do I report improper conduct or cheating on IS tests?


    Organizations/Agencies are encouraged to institute procedures to ensure that students are completing exams for EMI's Independent Study courses through their own individual efforts.

    Individuals within an organization who feel that test answers are being improperly provided should follow that organization's procedures for reporting unethical conduct.

    In accordance with NETC SOP 119-22, if a student is found to have cheated on an exam, the penalty may include--but is not limited to--expulsion; foreclosure from future classes for a specified period; forfeiture of certificate for course/courses enrolled in at NETC or NTC; or all of the above. A letter notifying the student’s sponsor of the individual's misconduct will be sent by the appropriate official at NETC. Upon written request by the individual’s sponsor, information from and/or copies of the statements from the individual and witnesses, police reports, and NETC or NTC security reports may be made available to the individual’s sponsor for the purpose of determining if disciplinary action is appropriate by the sponsoring organization. For more information on Conduct on the NETC and NTC Campus please access this link.

  17. Are EMI Course materials copyrighted?


    Unless otherwise indicated in the course materials, under 17 USC § 105 these government produced materials are not afforded copyright protection and are within the public domain. Changes to original EMI content are not authorized by EMI. When using EMI curriculum materials or portions there of, agencies, organizations and individuals should cite EMI as the originator of the material. The materials should not be used or displayed by non-federal entities in a manner or way which states or implies endorsement of a user’s products or services by the Federal Government. Please click this link to find out more information.
  18. What do these other Course Codes (B, E, G, IS, L, K, Q) stand for?



    Resident courses held at FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) Noble Training Center


    Resident courses held at the NETC campus


    State/Local/Tribal Field-delivered courses


    Independent Study courses


    Resident courses held off-site


    Self-paced training using the World Wide Web (Master Trainer Program—Evaluation of Training)


    NFA Online-

  19. How do I take an Independent Study course online?


    Click on ISP Course List and select your course from the list.

    Review course materials by choosing any one of the options in the "Take This Course" box on the right-hand side of the page.

    Submit your final exam online. You will be enrolled in the course when you submit your final exam answers online.

    You will receive an email confirmation at the email address provided on your final exam submission within 1-2 business days for the course.

  20. How will I know when new courses are released or a course has been revised? Can I get on a list that will allow me to be automatically enrolled in new IS courses as they come out?


    You may sign-up for our Gov Delivery service to receive the latest news on new and updated courses. To sign up or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your e-mail address at: We also recommend that you visit our homepage: frequently. As new courses become available they will be posted there.

  21. How can I pursue a degree in emergency management?


    Visit, and choose "College Courses" from the menu on the left side of the page. There you will find information on schools offering programs under EMI's Higher Education Project.

  22. Which Independent Study Courses are included in the Professional Development Series (PDS)? When I complete all the courses in the PDS Series, what do I need to do to receive my certificate?


    The Professional Development Series includes seven Emergency Management Institute Independent Study courses that provide a well-rounded set of fundamentals for those in the emergency management profession. When a student has completed all courses in the series, the Independent Study Program Office automatically issues a certificate of completion, via email, directly to the student at the email address that was provided during the last test submission. Please allow 1-2 business days to receive the email. The courses, in recommended order of completion, are:

  23. What should I do if I have problems downloading materials or submitting my online exam?


    Please see our Before you Begin: technical requirements at

    If problem still exists, please send email to with a detailed error description.

  24. Why does my computer lock up or Next button grayed out when I take courses online?


    This issue is most likely related to your internet browser. Internet Explorer of Firefox work best for accessing and viewing of materials. Please see our technical requirements at

    If the problem persists, please contact the FEMA Independent Study program office at 301-447-1200 or with a detailed error description.

  25. When I click on Take Final Exam I am receiving: Cannot Display the Webpage. What is causing this?


    If you are able to get to different sections of the website, but cannot access the final exams, please try the following: Enable TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, or TLS 1.2 and/or SSL 2.0 or SSL 3.0. requires one of these protocols to be selected in your web browser's settings.

Back to Top