Search form

search button

COVID-19 Information for National Emergency Training Center Students

Note: effective July 28, 2021, all Federal employees, onsite contractors, and visitors, regardless of vaccination status or level of COVID transmission in your local area, are required to wear a mask inside all DHS workspaces and Federal buildings.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency continues to monitor the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as it relates to COVID-19. To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the CDC is encouraging organizations to promote social distancing, hold meetings via videoconferencing, reduce non-essential travel, and adjust or postpone events and gatherings. We also continue to evaluate the local and national situation and will provide regular updates.

Students will be notified in advance concerning the status of their on-campus course offering.

We thank you for your understanding, and we invite you to visit our extensive catalog of Independent Study Courses as well as classroom courses available by virtual delivery.

How to Become a Contract Instructor

Thank you for your interest in becoming a contract instructor for one or more Emergency Management Institute (EMI) courses.

NEW VIDEO: How to Become an EMI Contract Instructor/ How to Apply

How to Become an EMI Contract Instructor Brochure

You must ensure that you meet the Course-Specific Criteria for the respective course. Please review the minimum qualifications for each course using the link below.

Review Course-Specific Requirements

  • Submit the following:
    • A cover letter that lists up to 5 courses per curriculum that you would like to instruct (more than 5 courses will require another application package).
    • A resume outlining your experience.
    • The documentation necessary to demonstrate that you meet the course-specific requirement for each course.
    • A link to a 30-minute teaching demonstration.
    • At least two references.
  • Submit the above package to:

Conflict of Interest – If your State or local governmental agency is funded through THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and you receive pay directly or indirectly from FEDERAL GOVERNMENT grant funding you may not contract for a fee, but must contract for expenses only unless you are on UNPAID leave OR LEAVE WITHOUT PAY STATUS. If you are a FEMA Disaster Assistance Employee you may not contract with FEMA to instruct.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the information being provided, please email them to Thank you.

Back to Top