Emergency Management Competencies and Curricula
Documents below are in MS Word or PDF format. Click on each weekly link for daily report.
VHA – EM Emergency Response and Recovery Competencies: Competency Survey, Analysis and Report. Joseph A. Barbera, MD., Anthony G. Macintyre, MD, Greg Shaw, DSc, Valerie Seefried, MPH, Lissa Westerman, RN, Sergio DeCosmos. The George Washington University: Institute for Crisis Disaster Management. June 16, 2005. - PDF
All Employees Emergency Response Competencies. Joseph A. Barbera, MD., Anthony G. Macintyre, MD, Greg Shaw, DSc, Valerie Seefried, MPH, Lissa Westerman, RN, Sergio DeCosmos. The George Washington University: Institute for Crisis Disaster Management. June 16, 2005. - PDF
“Emergency Management Core Competencies” David Etkins, Coordinator, Emergency Management Program, Atkinson Faculty of Liberal and Applied Studies, School of Administrative Studies, York University, Ontario: Canada. 2006
TOP TEN COMPETENCIES FOR PROFESSIONAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. B. Wayne Blanchard, Ph.D., CEM, FEMA Emergency Management Higher Education Project Manager. September 14, 2005
“Professional Competencies for the Master’s Level Emergency Manager: Knowledge Systems Necessary for the Emergency Manage of the 21st Century” – Craig Marks, CEM, CERP, MS-FEMA, PhD(c), Blue Horizons, LLC. April 29, 2005 - 1.2MB MS Word
“Critical curriculum for emergency management leaders: Three essential themes.” Glen L. Woodbury, MA. The Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.3, No. 2, March/April 2005. - PDF
KSA and Core Competencies
- Breakout Session: Disaster/Emergency Management Core Functions and Competencies-Graduate Level. Facilitator: Dr. Anthony Brown, Director Master of Science in Fire & Emergency Management Administration, Oklahoma State University. FEMA Higher Education Conference June 8-10, 2004
- Emergency Management Degree Program Instructional Development Processes: The Importance of Key Curricular Goals or Aims. Michael O’Connor, Ed.D. Associate Professor of Emergency and Disaster Management, Bachelor’s of Technology Program in Emergency and Disaster Management, State University of New York – Canton College of Technology. -141KB MS Word
- Emergency Program Manager- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM). - 20Kb MS Word document
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region V Training and Development Advisory Committee. Concept paper on Emergency Management Competencies. Prepared by F/Lieutenant Marshall S. Johnson, Emergency Management Division, Michigan Department of State Police. - 49Kb MS Word document
- Florida Resource Center Profile for Emergency Administration and Management. Developed for St. Petersburg College, Daytona Beach, Florida, February 27, 1996. - 1.1Mb MS Word "Emergency Administration and Management Focus Statement" - An Emergency Management Practitioner works for volunteer agencies, government or business, and applies specialty skills to manage the reduction of preparedness for, the response to, and recovery from natural and man-made disasters.- 100Kb MS Excel document
- "Public Risk Manager Core Competencies." Public Risk Newsletter, Vol. 16, No. 1, January 2002, p. 24-25. - 21Kb MS Word document
- A related Competency Model For The Education Training & Development Field by John Lunn, Charles Sturt University, Australia, which may be of interest to those concerned with emergency management competencies.
- Sample Local Emergency Services Manager Job Vacancy/Position Description. - 49Kb MS Word document.
- Proceedings fo the 2002 Academic/Practitioner Symposium. ASIS International. Held on the campus of The University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 29-31, 2002.
- Portland Oregon Office of Emergency Management - Director Job Vacancy Announcement.
- Outlines of Competencies to Develop Successful 21st Century Hazard or Disaster or Emergency or Hazard Risk Managers by B. Wayne Blanchard, Ph.D., CEM, Higher Education Project Manager, Emergency Management Institute, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Department of Homeland Security, July 7, 2003 Draft.
- Bryant, Karen J. A Study of the Relationship Between Competencies or Tasks and Their Frequency of Performance as Required by Emergency Administration and Management (A Thesis in Workforce Education and Development). Pennsylvania State University, Graduate School, August 1997. Available from UMI Dissertation Services. <http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/>
- CDC. Bioterrorism & Emergency Readiness - Competencies For All Public Health Workers. November 2002.
- Designing Educational Opportunities for the Hazards Manager of the 21st Century-Workshop Report, October 22-24, 2003, Denver CO. By Deborah Thomas, University at Denver and Dennis Mileti, Natural Hazards Center, University of Colorado at Boulder. October 2003.
- Green, Walter G. III. A Study of Core Functions in Emergency Management as Reflected in Training Requirements for Professional Certification. The Graduate School of American, Doctoral Dissertation May 1999. Available from: www.dissertation.com